Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bumps, Bruises, and Cheese (yes, cheese)

Last evening, Avery fell off of a very tall metal slide and got banged up.  So today we chilled around the house, keeping an eye on her injuries.  The pictures below are photos of her at about 4 o'clock when the swelling went down quite a bit.  Last night, her eye was almost swollen shut.  I just couldn't make myself take pictures of it that bad - I already feel guilty as it is.  I am just thankful that my baby is okay. 








This evening, we went to Sarah and Ken's house to make mozarella cheese!  Ken sang to Avery on the porch, while Sarah and I made cheese and played Spanish Scrabble.  *She totally kicked my butt.  Here's how:

I went first and played "Dale"  pronounced "DAH lay" meaning "Hit it!" like a pinata. for minimal points.
Her first play was "Exitosos" meaning "successful" as a plural adjective for 95 points!!!
Wowza.  I have only every played Spanish Scrabble with her twice and she kicked my butt both times.  Thanks for the challenge, Sarah!

So, to make cheese, you need some special stuff.  I can't remember exactly, but something that sound like "reslin."  I am probably saying that wrong.  Also, whole milk (pasturized but not ultra pasturized), a bit of water, cheese salt, and I guess that's it. 

Once the ingredients are added and the temp. is reached, it sits for a few minutes to curdle.  Then you strain it into cheese cloth.


Sarah took a way cool picture of me squeezing the cheese to drain out the whey, but I forgot to save it.  Boo.  But after that, we heated it in the microwave and kneaded it.  Then we had cheese!  It is in my refrigerator now.  I plan to eat it tomorrow with some tomatoes and Ritz crackers.  (Thanks again Sarah for the awesome cheese making experience!)

No comments:

Post a Comment