Thursday, July 1, 2010

DAYS 26-29 (CAMPING)


For our big adventure this month, we went camping.  My mom, Scott, Avery, and I loaded up the Expedition and headed into the mountains for 2 nights of camping, hiking, and fishing.  We camped near our old camp site (Spruce Grove) near Lake George, Colorado.  I have camped there twice before and find it to be one of the best places to camp.  Its right by the river, so it makes for a great fishing and swimming spot, and the sunset is fantastic due to its position in the mountains.  Since it was Saturday and camp sites were limited, Spruce Grove was all full.  So much to our disappointment, we headed a few miles down the road to Twin Eagle Camp Ground.  But our disappointment faded as we found a campsite across the river in a fairly shaded spot.  We had to pack our stuff across a bridge and him a small incline, but once we were unloaded, we realized that the campground is a much better and secluded area than Spruce Grove.  My phone (camera) went dead, so I didn't get to take any pictures of our adventures there.  But here are some highlights and low lights:

As soon as we began to unload, Scott got bombarded by mosquitoes.  Some even drew blood.  They never really left him alone.  We used as much bug spray as we could, but they were relentless when in came to Scott.  Mom and Avery seemed to have lucked out when it comes to mosquitoes.  They didn't get bitten at all.  I have about ten bites, but nothing compared to Scott.  We all attempted to fish while we were there, but none of us caught a thing.  I think I got a few bites on the second day, but of course, it could have been the drag of the water.  Who knows.  That was the most disappointing part of the whole trip.  Oh, that, and the rain.  It did rain both days we were there, but we survived through it.  It only rained for 30 min to an hour each time, and we were dry enough in the tent.  It was my Birthday Saturday, so we brought along a carrot cake.  Mom, Scott, and Avery sang to me and I blew out a few matches they put on top.  It was exactly how I wanted to spend my birthday.  Of course, I wished that we would catch some fish and that it would not rain anymore, but none of those came true.  Perhaps we should have used real candles!

Avery had a good time.  She got to play in the river, dig in the dirt, sit by the fire and watch the sunset, and find pine cones.  She did a great job for this being her first camping trip.  She was a trooper.  She overcame the fact that we were sort of camped on an incline and there were no other kiddos to play with.  Perhaps next time we go, we'll invite more people to join us.   

Sorry that I have no pictures to show of our trip.  I found some pictures on the Internet of about where we camped.  But I'll do better next time!
(This is Avery in Chuckles' kennel.  This is how she helped me load the car.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment